HISTORY OF THE INTENDENCIA (LA ADUANA) DE MANILA
1823 – 1829
The Aduana (Customs House ) is constructed based on the plans of Tomas Cortes.
The earthquake damages the building.
The Aduana is reconstructed upon the direction of Luis Perez Sonjue.
The Intendencia building where the first Office of the Archives is
The Intendencia becomes the first home of the Philippine Senate after the enactment of the Jones Law in 1916 granting nominal autonomy for the national government and providing for elections for the Philippine Congress.
Again is used as the Customs House called the Bureau of Customs after the completion of the Legislative Building. Later is used to house the country's mint and the offices of the Central Administration (Intendencia).
WORLD WAR II
Japanese bombing and subsequent invasion of the Japanese army in 1941 and in the battle of Manila in 1945 damage the building.
POST WAR PERIOD
It is reconstructed after the liberation of Manila to become successively the offices of the National Treasury, the Central Bank of the Philippines, and later the Commission on Elections.
The building is totally burned. Presidential Letter of Instruction No. 966 (18 December 1979) directs its restoration to become the site of the National Archives and home of its historical collections.
The Intramuros Administration prepares general architectural plans for the restoration of the building.
The National Archives conducts intensive research into the history and architecture of the building. Architects Juan C. Lopez and Jose Luis Gonzales prepare historically accurate general architectural plans.
President Ramos inaugurates the reconstruction of the Intendencia on 24 October.